Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

Another reason that I love fall is that the cooler weather brings all kinds of comfort food, chili and homemade soups included.  While I love these dishes because they are delicious, I also love them because they are "one pot" dinners.  Less dishes and a delicious, hearty meal?  I can get on board with that!

My mom made chili at least once a month through the winter, and I always looked forward to it.  I have been experimenting with my own signature chili dish (one day I am going to enter it in a chili cook-off!).  I think I have finally perfected it.  I made it last night for dinner and, as usual, it was met with delight from both my daughter and my husband.  This recipe makes about six servings.

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans
  • 8 oz salsa (I use mild, but you can use whatever level of spice you like)
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • red wine (optional)
Instructions:

Cube your sweet potato, chop your onion, mince your garlic (I buy already minced garlic to save time).


Spray a medium saucepan with cooking spray and saute the garlic and onions until the onions are translucent.


Drain and rinse the beans.

 

Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for approximately 45 minutes. My little helper loves throwing all of the sweet potatoes in the pot.. and making towers with my spices. It was at this step that I decided to add in a couple tablespoons of red wine.  I think it added a depth to the flavor, but I have made it without and it is awesome either way.


Serve with any toppings you like - we like cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips in my house.


I am not the only chili lover in my house; look how happy these two are!

No comments:

Post a Comment